You know how the greatest toy for a child is an empty cardboard box? The mariner’s equivalent must be a bucket. In our case, this little beauty:
Note the compact yet capacious size, the built-in handles, the bendyness. We’ve used it just about every day and we’ve only had it for a week.
- we’ve pumped water from the bilge into it after a hose under the galley sink popped off and sprayed steaming hot water everywhere (twice)
- we’ve rinsed out salty wetsuits in it
- it makes a great shopping bag
- at the beach, the kids filled it with crabs
- at the prow, Drew tied a rope to its handles and dunked it into the sea to get water for rinsing our muddy anchor
- Soren, you won’t be surprised to hear, has worn it upside down on his head for a bit of physical comedy
I’m sure we’ll think of many more uses before the month is done. It probably needs a buddy, too ….